Please Remember

I have moved blogs. Please join me. =)

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

4-15-09 Wondrous Words Wednesday

vocabulary
Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.
My words for this week come from pages 31 and 50 of Behold, Here's Poison by Georgette Heyer.
1) gaff- "''Particularly if it comes out that uncle, in his well-known playful way, threatened to blow the gaff if Fielding didn't lay-off you.'"

verb (used with object) -- British Slang to cheat; fleece.


2) fatuous- "'Your cousins have been trying to silence me for years, but you have done it with one utterly fatuous remark.'"

adjective -- foolish or inane, esp. in an unconscious, complacent manner; silly.

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Bermudaonion. Here is the link to today's post. "What new words have you discovered lately?"


Creative Commons License

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Great words! I love fatuous - I'll try to use it today.

Mo said...

I worked for a Brit for over a decade, so I'm familiar with "gaff", but "fatuous" is new-to-me, as well!

Hope you're having a wonderful week, filled with wondrous words!!

Margot said...

I think I can work gaff into conversations today. Sure is fun to learn new words.

avisannschild said...

Since gaff isn't an adjective in your sentence, I just had to look it up (I hope you don't mind!) and it turns out the expression "blow the gaff" means "to cause trouble for someone by letting other people know something that they were trying to keep secret," which makes sense (I think) in this context. I found this definition at The Free Dictionary.

BevE said...

Kylee, there is an award for you at Merry Weather-stop by when you have the time to pick it up: D

BevE

Jo-Jo said...

I also like fatuous....I like the idea of silencing someone with a fatuous remark...I actually have a relative that may work on! lol

KyleeJ said...

@avisannschild: Thank you for telling me about Free Dictionary!

avisannschild said...

No problem, Kylee! I'm glad you appreciated my comment!

Buy Books

**sticky**

**sticky**
click image to find out more