Please Remember

I have moved blogs. Please join me. =)

Monday, May 25, 2009

Review of: Behold, Here's Poison

Author: Georgette Heyer
ISBN: 9781402217982
Pages: 336
Published by: Sourcebooks Landmark (February 2009 [first published 1969])
Genre(s): Fiction, Mystery, Cozy
Grade: B+
Challenge(s): 100+ Reading Challenge - Read 'n Review '09


I love these kinds of mysteries, English country cottage style. I even took notes this time, I jotted down bits that I thought might be important. I recorded who I thought was the guilty party; I changed my mind a few different times. I was wrong each time. It made sense in the end, but I never suspected this particular person.

Mr Matthews was not very well liked by many, repected but not liked. Practically everyone in the house had reason to want him dead. Later Mr Matthews' spinster sister, Harriette, dies as well. That really throws a wrench into the works; even for Scotland Yard!
It's no ordinary morning at the Poplars - the master is found dead in his bed and it turns out that his high blood pressure was not the cause of death. Heyer uses her attention to detail and brilliant characterizations to concoct a baffling crime for which every single member of the quarrelsome family has a motive, and none, of course, has an alibi. Heyer's sparkling dialogue is a master class in British wit, sarcasm and the intricacies of life above and below stairs.
Buy Behold, Here's Poison by Georgette Heyer:

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I haven't read any of Heyer's mysteries because I don't think I'd like them (although I'm loving her historical fiction) but I just love the covers that Sourcebooks has reissued them with! They ooze mystery, I think.

- Meghan @ Medieval Bookworm

Buy Books

**sticky**

**sticky**
click image to find out more