Please Remember

I have moved blogs. Please join me. =)

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday {4-1-09}

vocabulary

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.

My words for this week come from The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer.
1 ) averring - "With the exception of an incident in his youth, there had been no other woman in his life; he knew beyond need of averring it that there would never be another."

aver is a verb meaning: to assert or affirm with confidence; declare in a positive or peremptory manner.

2) puling - "Just like this damned puling generation, always grumbling at fate; no guts to 'em; he'd like to have a few of 'em in his old regiment."

puling is an adjective meaning: whining; whimpering

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Bermudaonion. Here is the link to today's post. "What new words have you discovered lately?"

Creative Commons License

2 comments:

avisannschild said...

Great words! Aver is a completely new one to me. I'd seen puling before but had forgotten what it meant.

Here are my Wondrous Words for this week.

KyleeJ said...

I'm sure I'd seen puling before, too. Just never bothered to look it up. I do that a lot. As long as I can infer the meaning. I think I'm going to like this meme though. I really should attempt to expand my vocabulary.

Buy Books

**sticky**

**sticky**
click image to find out more